Thursday, July 19, 2007

Escher's building in origami

Some people redraw Escher's artworks with computer, the others create woodcarvings based on Escher's lithographs, but Ingrid Siliakus crates Escher's buildings using paper. I don't know how this kind of art can be called. I think it's a branch of origami.

UPDATE (thanks to lispnik):
This kind of art is called kirigami that is variation of origami, where the artist is allowed to make small cuts in the paper.
Below you can see some Escher-like kirigami works with respective originals.
Balcony

Relativity

Convex and concave
These images are close to originals by M.C. Escher. More such style origami constructions can be seen here http://haha.nu/amazing/unique-paper-cut-artworks/

5 comments:

Ivan Boldyrev said...

This is a kirigami.

marika said...

Thank you for your fascinating collection! Some images made me remember a few great books that came my way recently - book on Coxeter among them :) it would be great to see a different "picture" of an 11-cell they talk about now..:)
Thank you!

Muad`Dib said...

This is NOT origami.

Claudio Timber said...

the others create woodcarvings based on Escher's lithographs, but Ingrid Siliakus crates Escher's buildings using paper. I don't know how this kind of art can be called. I think it's a branch of origami. plumbers upland ca

David talpur said...

Took me time to read all the comments, but I really enjoyed the article. It proved to be Very helpful to me and I am sure to all the commenters here! It’s always nice when you can not only be informed, but also entertained! Balustrade